When it comes to your mouth, nothing is as crucial to your teeth as brushing, and flossing comes in at a close second. Today we are going to review some brushing essentials for you to give your smile the care it needs. If you desire a confident smile, you will want to make sure that you are taking the best care of your mouth as possible. Along with a healthy diet and seeing your dentist regularly, your daily oral hygiene routine will keep your smile healthy and bright for years to come.
Whether you prefer a manual toothbrush or a battery powered one, the goal is to find what you enjoy using and then use it. Your goal should be to remove plaque and oral debris from the teeth gum line daily. Aim for brushing at least 2-3 times a day, for two minutes each session. Now let’s look at the most effective way to clean your teeth:
- We advocate using a soft-bristled toothbrush to protect the enamel and be gentle around the gums.
- Squeeze out about a pea-sized amount of toothpaste onto the head of the toothbrush. If you are prone to cavities be sure to use a fluoride toothpaste.
- You want to hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and up to the gum line region.
- While using a circular motion, brush one tooth at a time, getting the bristles into the crevices of the tooth.
- You can use the tips of the toothbrush bristles to clean the top of the chewing surfaces on each tooth.
- Be sure to clean the back of each tooth, (top and bottom) using small, circular motions.
- Angle the toothbrush head up and down the inside of the bottom front teeth, using small circular movements.
- Brush up and down the inside of the front top teeth using small circles.
- When you notice your bristles fraying, it is a good idea to replace the toothbrush (or just the toothbrush head, if you are using a battery powered toothbrush. Otherwise, it is a good rule of thumb to replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
Once you have cleaned your pearly whites, don’t forget to clean your tongue. You can brush from the back of your tongue forward with gentle strokes to clear away any lingering bacteria or oral debris. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water. After you finish brushing, remember to floss your teeth and along the gumline.
If you have any questions about caring for your smile, please call New York Dental Group at 607-777-1340 to speak to a member of our friendly staff. Dr. Sunny Pannu and Dr. Kierian Nwugwo are here to support all of your smile care needs in Vestal, New York.