The outer layer on our teeth is a thin layer of protection called the tooth enamel. However, as strong as it is, it can be damaged. When your enamel is damaged slowly over time due to harmful acids and plaque buildup, it’s called dental erosion. Listed below are a few of the potential causes and remedies of dental erosion:
– Harmful acids can be effectively removed from your mouth after meals with sugarless gum and various forms of mouthwash. During other times throughout the day, brushing and flossing are two of the best treatment options.
– Foods with a low pH level are highly acidic. To prevent dental erosion, limit your intake of substances that have a low pH.
– Dental erosion is often caused by sugary sweets that have been converted to harmful acids within your mouth. Limiting sugary products will lower your risk for dental erosion.
– Saliva is your body’s natural defense against dental erosion, so make sure to avoid substances or medications that can contribute to dry mouth disorder.
– Dental erosion can make teeth extra sensitive, which can affect your cleaning techniques. To avoid abrasion against your teeth, especially when they are extra sensitive, make sure to always use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Limit snacking throughout the day, and instead stick to large meals only.
If you would like to meet with Dr. Sunny Pannu and our team at New York Dental Group for an oral health examination, please call 607-777-1340 to schedule an appointment at our dentist office in Vestal, New York. Come on in to learn more about your options to get the bright and healthy smile you’ve always wanted.